Saturday 15 March 2008

Some bits of randomness

There has been an exciting development since last blog - my camera finally arrived! It's dead easy to use, and does spiffy video as well, but there is one small problem - I don't think the supporting software will work with my current PC setup. Himself has offered me to set it up on on his - which will definitely work - but we need to get the home networking working again. So my excitement was short lived. Ah well, watch this space.

~~~###~~~

Saw something slightly weird on the way home yesterday - someone driving in blue dental gloves! My thinking is that (1) the steering wheel is filthy, in which case, what a minger; (2) they are allergic to their own car - so go buy one you're not allergic to; (3) they are trying to hide the fact they were a smoker (yup, fag in hand at 80 mph on the motorway) - sorry to disappoint, but the smell will infect your clothes and hair; or (4) it's just some really weird fetish. Still looked odd to see a driver with Smurf hands!

~~~###~~~

I have borrowed a breadmaker from a friend. Nothing bizarre in that, or in making your own bread. I'm a little disappointed that the smell of baking bread is a little bit too contained within the device, as that is part of the fun of making your own to me, having your home smelling of fresh bread - yum! However, Frodo the cat made up for it: have you ever seen a cat trying to get at the 'mouse' in a functioning breadmaker?! OMG. 10 minutes he spent peering and pawing at the window on top, the gap round the back, front, sides ... trying to crawl underneath ... He didn't quite get so far as nuzzling the lid open (although after watching him pull a tin of cat food off the shelf, I suspect he's capable), but it was quite a sight to behold.

~~~###~~~

Still on Mr Frodo - I've just discovered that cats like Valerian, in the same way as they like Catnip. I have a tin of herbal and fruit tea bags, with some individually wrapped Lemon Valerian tea bags in it. I open tin, Frodo becomes even nosier than usual, trying to get into the tin, and scoop out the tea bags. So I just let him have one, with which he eagerly jumped off the work surface and began to roll around on the floor with. Our last male - Anthony - was never interested in catnip, although we did get the same floormarking behaviour from him when I bleached the floors. Anyways, look like I might have to invest in some catnip cat toys to torture and exercise Mr Frodo with.

~~~###~~~

And finally, proof of Frodo's cheek/nosiness: I related the story to his former owner, next door but one (the other way from Ed) of how Frodo had been chasing off the locals who had dared to come in through the cat flap in the wee small hours to grab a bite to eat. Typical territorial behaviour for a tom, although a little ironic given how he came to live with us. However, it then turned out that Frodo's nosiness had gotten the better of him and, aside from peering at Ed going about his business, had nipped back into their place for a bit of a mosey around late at night, with the result that he got himself locked in! Unable to get out of the room he was trapped in, he apparently scratched so hard at the carpet in his attempts to escape, he ruck the carpet up to the extent that they had difficulty getting back into the room to straighten everything out again! Little tinker.

~~~###~~~

Right - I have a whole weekend of nothing particular to do, so there are plans afoot to start on the bedroom ... I'm off to consider mixing some Polyfilla ...

2 comments:

Ed said...

I'm going for option 4, it's the only one that makes sense.

Ed said...

nearly forgot.
My M+D have a bread maker that's in almost constant use.
The plainest loaf they made was the first one they did. Since then they have been adding things to the mix to make flavoured bread, banana is my favourite closely followed by tomato.
And you're right the bread maker doesn't give out too much of a bread making smell, boo.